Regular practice of Pranayam in proper ways will ensure holistic health benefits along with rejuvenated mind.
Pranayam which is derived from the ancient Yoga Sutras was originally developed by monks centuries ago. Before we get into the discussion of how Pranayam benefits us, let us take a look at why oxygen is so much important to our system. Oxygen is the main compound that releases energy in our body. So it is that vital ingredient that influences assimilation of food, provides energy to cells and organs and also recovers the loss in our body. Pranayam is the Yoga technique that lets us control our breathing to ensure maximum flow of oxygen in our body and eliminate toxins from our body. The complete process of Pranayam constitutes three phases – inhalation of air, retention of air and exhalation of air. These three phases have three different benefits that together bring out the holistic benefits of Pranayam.
The inhalation process makes sure that you intake maximum oxygen, that is a vital ingredient. Yogis who developed Sutras of Pranayam realized that importance of oxygen and hence they gave stress to this portion of Pranayam. As we intake air and oxygen for prolong period than usual, it increases our lung capacity. Though we usually utilize only small portion of our lung capacity, with regular practice of Pranayam, we can increase our lung capacity and elasticity of lungs.
Retention of breath is a necessary part of Pranayam. Usually we do not hold air in our lungs when we breathe. But while doing Pranayam, this is one important part, it ensure maximum assimilation of oxygen in our blood through lungs. In fact this is the part that ensures stimulation of Prana. This is the reason that retention of breath is longer than other two part of Pranayam.
Generally duration of exhalation is double than the duration of inhalation. This is to ensure too aspects. Firstly, it lets us breathe out carbon dioxide and other toxins that purify our body. Secondly, it also eliminates the excess oxygen from our body that will eventually get oxidized and degenerate cells. By eliminating excess oxygen from body, Pranayam also takes part in anti oxidation process that delays cell degeneration.
- With controlled breathing we can regulate our blood circulation in our body that will ensure healthy heart, reduce high blood pressure and proper functioning of the endocrine glands.
- Apart from these basic benefits of Pranayam, it also ensures optimum blood flow to brain that relives stress, mental anxiety and calms our mind. Regular practice of Pranayam surely calms our mind and boosts our confidence and stability. .
- With Pranayam that ensures optimum circulation of oxygen relives fatigue, rejuvenates our body, recovers loss of tissues and helps in proper functioning of organs. .
- Pranayam is known to burn extra calories. With continuous practice of Pranayam for significant period of time, you can achieve supple and steady figure with no fat. .
- Pranayam boosts our capacity to concentrate. As a result it helps us to excel in every sphere of life. .